Today's episode is a conversation around an important topic that is still brushed under the carpet. Some of you may have come across Teri from her Instagram account @sassysobermum, but those of you who have yet to meet her and be inspired by her, I'm delighted to introduce you.
Teri is 44 years old living in Poole, Dorset. She is a married mum of three daughters, working full time in technology, running an instagram support page and podcast for people in sobriety or looking to get sober. And, she's been sober since April 2019.
You can connect with Teri through her Website & Instagram:
Teri's Instagram HERE
Teri's Website HERE
Teri's Podcast HERE
Teri's Free eBook HERE
What we discuss in this episode:
- Teri talks freely about her addiction with alcohol from her early teenage years through into her adult life
- The breakdown of her relationship after having two young kids and finding herself at a crossroads, her life-changing overnight and further turning to drinking to 'help her cope'
- Being vulnerable is what is connecting her to other people who are feeling similarly and allowing her work to grow and reach more people
- Finding healing in sharing her story and vulnerable moments despite them being her deepest darkest moments
- Teri shares about trying to understand the root cause of her drinking and the key points from her childhood which influenced this. Why she didn’t love or even like herself!
- How she can use reflection from her childhood to influence her parenting for the better
- Finding an acceptance towards herself for how she parents her children. There’s no rulebook in parenting and we can’t be perfect all the time but reflecting and talking with them is important. Communication being key between her and her family - Amen Teri!
- 'Fun Mum' being the mask she wore and hid behind. Joining the 'Mummy Wine' culture almost gave her permission to justify her drinking
- Teri’s mission of trying to break the stigma around drinking. Regardless of how much you drink if it’s used as an escape to cope with life - learning how to feel your feelings instead of dumbing them with a substance
- Not getting wrapped up in the shame of who you used to be under the influence...“you were a good person trapped in a bad cycle”
- Her new feeling of gratitude and peace that she now lives with everyday
Teri's Book Recommendations:
The Unexpected Joy of Being Sober by Catherine Gray
The Easy Way to Stop Drinking for Women by Allen Carr
This Naked Mind by Annie Grace
Quit Like A Woman by Holly Whitaker
I would LOVE to hear from you - please let me know if this episode resonated and your biggest take home. And if you could leave me a rating and review to help spread the word to other Mums about life Behind the Mother Mask, that'd be brilliant!
You can also book a FREE discovery call with me to see how I can best help you to RECLAIM YOUR ENERGY and start feeling like YOU again. Click WEBSITE HERE to book your free call...
And connect with me on social media:
Remember - Faking it is Fatiguing
See you next week for another episode!